Are you an enthusiastic library supporter who has always wanted to be in on the major decision making happening at the Library? Consider getting involved and offering your time. We have two separate Boards at the library that support our mission and functions.
The first, with one opening for a city resident is the Library Board of Trustees. This position is appointed by the Mayor, who traditionally prefers to fill from a pool of interested citizens.
The Library Board is a governing body with nearly unique powers.
- While the Common Council appropriates funds for library service, the Library Board has sole authority over how those funds are utilized.
- The Library Board sets policies, which the staff uses to guide its procedures.
- The Library Board hires and supervises the library director, and determines the duties and compensation of library staff. (The library director hires and supervises the staff.)
For more information on the duties associated with the Library Board, visit
- Department of Public Instruction information for library trustees: http://www.dpi.state.wi.us/pld/trustee.html
- IFLS information for library trustees http://www.ifls.lib.wi.us/Default.aspx?tabid=1165
If you’re interested, contact Board President, James Kiffmeyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Interim Library Director, Katherine Elchert at email@example.com
The second, with multiple openings is the Friends Board of the Rice Lake Public Library. The Friends is a 501C3 organization, whose mission is to support the activities of the RLPL. They serve as the fundraising and volunteer arm of the library and have had great success with the Library Book Sale, Evening Under the Stars, Adopt-a-Magazine and more. They are eagerly anticipating our upcoming Capital Campaign for the building renovation and are seeking energetic, civic minded community members to assist them. There is no residency requirement to participate as a Friends of the Library Board member.
The Friends meet on the first Saturday of each month at 8 a.m. Their annual meeting is coming up on January 18 at 6:30 p.m. and will be followed by a Library Visioning session with our architectural team. This would be a great opportunity to chat with Friends Board President, Eric Kasper, or you can reach him at eric.kasper